- 为文明出征：第一次世界大战期间西线战场的华工故事 [Marching into
the Battle for Civilization: Stories of Chinese Workers on the Western Front in the
First World War] (China Intercontinental Press, 2017)
- Asia and the Great War: A Shared History
(Oxford University Press, 2016)
- Chinese and Americans: A Shared
History (Harvard University Press, 2014)
- Strangers on the Western Front: Chinese Workers
in the Great War (Harvard University Press, February 2011; Chinese edition was
published by Shanghai People’s Press, summer 2014)
- Olympic Dreams: China and Sports, 1895-2008
(Harvard University Press, April 2008)
- China and the Great War: China’s Pursuit of a
New National Identity and Internationalization (Cambridge, UK and New York:
Cambridge University Press, February 2005, paperback, September 2011) (Chinese
edition by Sanlian Shudian, Shanghai, August 2008, June 2013)
- 文明的交融：第一次世界大战期间的在法华工 (Chinese
Laborers in France during the First World War) (both Chinese and French editions)
(Beijing: Intercontinental Press, November 2007).
- 美国外交政策史，1775-1989 (History of American
Foreign Policy, 1775-1989) (co-author, in Chinese) (Beijing: The People's Press,
Journal Articles (Selected)
- "试论 '共享的历史' 与中美关系史研究的新范式",
(The shared history as a new research paradigm in the field of history of
Sino-American relations), 文史哲 (Literature, History, and Philosophy),
No. 6 (December), 2014.
- "中国人与一战" (Chinese and the First World War),
历史教学 (History Teaching), No.9 (September), 2014.
- "会当临绝顶，一览众山小：国际史方法及其应用", ("The New
Approach of International History and Its practice", Wen Shi Zhe (Journal
of Literature, History, and Philosophy) (in Chinese), No. 5 (September), 2012;
新华文摘 published an abridged version in its no. 1 issue (January 2013)
issue, pp. 62-65.
- "Prestige and soft power: how Beijing benefited
from the 2008 Games", in Legacy 2012: Understanding the impact of Olympic
Games, a special volume published by Economist/Economist Intelligence Unit,
August 2012, pp. 8-9.
- Book Review: Andrew D. Morris, Colonial Project,
National Game: A History of Baseball in Taiwan. The American Historical Review,
Vol. 116, No. 5 (December 2011).
- "现代奥林匹克运动与中国的国际化进程", (Modern Olympic
Movement and Process of China's Internationalization), The Twenty-First
Century (Chinese University of Hong Kong), February 2009.
- "Chinese Puzzle", Soccer Journal (official
publication of the National Soccer Coaches' Association of America), vol. 54,
No. 1, January-February 2009.
- "How to Understand China: A Historical Analysis",
Michigan International Lawyer, volume 20, No. 2 (summer 2008).
- "China's National Representation and the Two-China
Question in the Olympic Movement", China Perspectives vol. 73, No. 1
(in both French and English editions, Spring 2008).
- "Sports in China's Internationalization and National
Representation: China's Participation in 1932, 1936, and 1948 Olympic Games", The
Chinese Historical Review, Vol. 15, No. 1 (spring 2008).
- "The Great War and China's Military Expedition Plan",
The Journal of Military History Volume 72, No. 1 (January 2008).
- "Historical Memories and China's Changing Views of
East Asia", The Journal of American-East Asian Relations 10, Nos. 3-4 (2002).
- "Sport", in Akira Iriye and Pierre Yves Saunier, eds.,
The Palgrave Dictionary of Transnational History (London: Palgrave Macmillan,
- "美国外交政策中的柔力与刚力", (Soft Power and Hard Power in
American Foreign Policy), 世界政治与经济 (Journal of World Politics and Economy)
(Beijing, September 2005).
- "第一次世界大战对中国历史进程的影响", (The Effects of World
War I on China's Historical Progress)，The Twentieth-First Century (The Chinese
University of Hong Kong), August 2005 (the slight different version was published
in Jin Guangyao and Wang Jianlang, eds, Beiyang shiqi de zhong guo waijiao (
Chinese foreign policy during the warlord period) (Shanghai: Fudan University Press,
- Book Review, John Carroll, Edge of Empires:
Chinese Elites and British colonials in Hong Kong, Journal of Asian
History, 41, no. 1 (2007), 97.
- "China's Great War: An Unwritten Chapter of World
History", The Chinese Historical Review, Vol. 12, No. 1 (Spring 2005).
- "王道与霸道：美国外交政策的悖论", (Policy-making based on
attraction or on coercion: A dilemma in American foreign policy) 当代国际关系
(Journal of Contemporary International Relations) (Beijing, February 2005).
- "China: 1789-1914," in John Merriman and Jay Winter,
eds., Europe 1789 to 1914: Encyclopedia of the Age of Industry and Empire
(Detroit, Mich.: Charles Scribner's Sons, 2006).
- "Opium War," in John Merriman and Jay Winter, eds.,
Europe 1789 to 1914: Encyclopedia of the Age of Industry and Empire (Detroit,
Mich. :Charles Scribner's Sons, 2006).
- "The Boxer Rebellion," in John Merriman and Jay
Winter, eds., Europe 1789 to 1914: Encyclopedia of the Age of Industry and Empire
(Detroit, Mich. : Charles Scribner's Sons, 2006).
- Book Review: Peter Zarrow, "China in war and revolution,
1895-1949", American Historical Review 111, No. 3 (June 2006), 811-812.
- "Internationalism, Nationalism, National Identity:
China from 1895 to 1919," in George Wei and Xiaoyun Liu, eds., Chinese Nationalism
in Perspective (Westport, Conn.: Greenwood Press, 2001)
- "一战期间中国的以工代兵参战研究", (Chinese Laborers and the
First World War) The Twenty-First Century, Vol. 10, No. 62 (Hong Kong,
- "China's Quest for National Identity: A Speculative
Essay", Harvard Vision, volume 4, (Cambridge, MA: The Dipylon Press, 1996),
- "八十年代以来的美国外交史学", (Historiography of U.S.
Foreign Relations since 1980s) in Meiguo shi xintan (New Studies of
American History: Festschrift in Honor of Professor Yang Shengmao)(Beijing:
Zhongguo shehui kexue chubanshe, 1996)
- "越南战争的现代记忆及其影响" (Modern Memory of the
Vietnam War and its Influence), The Twenty-First Century Vol. 5, No. 30
(Hong Kong, December 1995).
- "麦克纳马拉的忏悔" (The Regrets of Robert McNamara),
美国研究 (Journal of American Studies)3, vol. 9 (Beijing, 1995).
- "美国文化心理情结与文明冲突论" (The Mentality of American
Foreign Policy and the Clash of Civilizations), 中国社会科学 (Chinese Social
Sciences Quarterly), 2 (Hong Kong, 1994).
- "亨廷顿及其文明冲突论" (On Samuel Huntington's
Clash-of-Civilizations Theory), 美国研究 (Journal of American Studies), 1
- "略论费正清" (John K. Fairbank and China Studies in
America), 美国研究 (Journal of American Studies),2 (Beijing, 1994).
- "从1945到现在的美国队亚太地区的经济政策" (American
Economic Policy in Asia and the Pacific Region, from 1945 to the Present:
Historical View), in Feng Chengbo, ed., Asia Pacific Region and China
(Tianjin: Nankai University Press, 1992).
- "美国在危机中?" (Is America in Crisis? Comments
on the Current Debate about American Decline), 美国研究 (Journal of
American Studies), 1 (Beijing, 1992).
- "Junshi yu Meiguo dui Huamenhu kaifang zhengce"
(Balance of Power and America's Open Door Policy in China), Lishi jiaoxue
(History Teaching), 2 (Tianjin, 1990).
- "Lun Weilian Xihua de dong Ya zhengce"
(On William Henry Seward's Policy in East Asia), Meiguo yanjiu
(Journal of American Studies), 3 (Beijing, 1990).
- "Luo Sifu de dong Ya junshi waijiao" (Theodore
Roosevelt's Balance-of-Power Policy in Eastern Asia), Nankai Journal of
History 2 (Tianjing, 1989).
- "1917-1919 qijian Zhongguo zhishi fenzi dui
Wudeluo Weierxun de fanying (Chinese Intellectuals' Response to Woodrow Wilson,
1917-1919), Lishi jiaoxue (History Teaching), No. 10 (Tianjin, 1989).
- "Meiguo xianfa yu Meiguo de jingji fazhan" (Role
of the American Constitution in America's Economic Development), Lishi jiaoxue
(History Teaching), 11 (November 1987).
Chapters in Edited Volumes (Selected)
- "The role of shared experiences in studying
Sino-American relations," in Robert David Johnson, eds., Asia Pacific
in the Age of Globalization (London: Palgrave MacMillan, 2014)
- "Networking through the Y: The Role of YMCA in
China's Search for New National Identity and Internationalization," in Madeleine
Herren ed., Networks in Times of Transition: Toward a Transcultural History of
International Organizations (Berlin: Springer, 2014)
- "China's Great War," in Helmut Bley and Anorthe
Kremers, eds., The World During the First World War (Essen: Klartest
- "Asia and the Great War," in Jay Winter, eds.,
The Cambridge History of the First World War, volume one (Cambridge
University Press, 2014. Its French edition was published in fall 2013 by Fayard,
- "China and Empire" in Robert Gerwarth and Erez
Manela ed., Empires at War (Oxford University Press, 2014)
- "国际体育与中国的国际化及外交战略" (International sports
and China's internationalization and diplomacy) in 魏楚雄等主编:
東西方文化與外交論文集 (Selected Papers on East-West Cultures and Diplomacy)
- "China's national representation and the Taiwan
Question in the Olympic Movement: the case of Taiwan and Beijing's participation
in the 1952 Helsinki Olympic Games," in George Wei, ed., China-Taiwan Relations
in a Global Context: Taiwan's Foreign Policy and Relations (Routledge, July,
- "美国内战时期的英美外交研究," (A Study of Anglo-American
diplomacy during American Civil War) in本书编辑委员会编,
《野老丹心一放翁——庆祝刘绪贻教授百岁华诞文集》(Festschrift in honor of Professor Liu
Xuyi's 100-year birthday) (in Chinese, 湖北人民出版社2012年5月)
- "Olympic Movement and China's Internationalization,"
in William Tsutsui, Michael Baskett, eds., The East Asian Olympiads, 1934-2008
(London: Global Oriental, July 2011).
- "浮生三记" (Three stories of my floating life), in Wang Xi
and Yao Ping, eds., 在美国发现历史 (Discovering History in America), Peking
University Press, 2010.
Articles for General Public (Selected)
- "自信人生二百年，会当水击三千里" --为纪念毛泽
东诞辰120年而作, 中华读书报 (即出)
- "人类的前程和中国的未来" (Whither Mankind and the
China's Future), 中华读书报, August 20, 2014, p. 17.(reprinted in total
by 新华文摘, October 20, 2014)
- "大师风范：入江昭先生侧记 (2)" (Professor Iriye,
part 2), 中华读书报, September 25, 2013
- "桃李不言，下自成蹊：入江昭先生侧记 (1)"(Professor
Akira Iriye, part 1), 中华读书报, September 11, 2013
- "Anthony Cheung 和他的美国梦" (Anthony Cheung
and his American Dream), 中华读书报, July 17, 2013
- "空谷灵雨许地山" (Scholar Xu Dishan and his
contributions), 中华读书报, June 5, 2013
- "历史学家霍布斯鲍姆及其宿命" (Historian Eric
Hobsbawm and his fate), 中华读书报, January 23, 2013
- "老马的风采" (Harvard Scholar Roderick MacFarquhar),
中华读书报, October 24, 2012
- "诗人的世界" (The world of a Poet), 中华读书报,
October 17, 2012
- "Heading into collective future", China Daily,
August 4, 2012
- "追忆杨生茂先生" (Tribute to Professor Yang Shengmao),
中华读书报, July 21, 2010
- "Olympics made China less nationalist", The
Providence Journal, August 30, 2009
- "A Delicate Balance", New York Times, August 4,
2008, Section H 03
- "The Goal China Can't Reach", Washington Post,
July 27, 2008, B01
- "A Sports Revolution?", Asia Weekly, vol. 02,
issue 16, April 28, 2008